Setting up Google Search Console is an essential step for any website owner who wants to optimise their site’s search engine visibility. Google Search Console is a free tool provided by Google that allows you to monitor your website’s performance and identify any issues that may be impacting your search engine rankings. In this blog post, we will walk you through the process of setting up Google Search Console and linking it to your WordPress website.
Step 1: Sign up for Google Search Console The first step is to sign up for Google Search Console. To do this, you need to have a Google account. If you don’t have one, you can create one for free. Once you have a Google account, go to the Google Search Console website and sign in using your Google account credentials.
Step 2: Add your website to Google Search Console Once you are signed in to Google Search Console, the next step is to add your website. To do this, click on the “Add Property” button and enter your website’s URL. Google will then ask you to verify ownership of the website.
There are several ways to verify ownership of your website, including adding a meta tag to your website’s header, uploading an HTML file to your website, or using your Google Analytics account. Choose the method that works best for you and follow the instructions provided by Google.
Step 3: Link Google Search Console to your WordPress website Now that you have added your website to Google Search Console and verified ownership, the next step is to link it to your WordPress website. There are a couple of ways to do this, but the easiest method is to use a plugin.
One popular plugin for linking Google Search Console to WordPress is Yoast SEO. If you already have Yoast SEO installed on your WordPress website, follow these steps:
- Go to the Yoast SEO dashboard and click on the “Webmaster Tools” tab.
- Click on the “Google Search Console” button.
- Click on the “Get Google Authorization Code” button and follow the prompts to authorize Yoast SEO to access your Google Search Console account.
- Copy the authorization code and paste it into the field provided in the Yoast SEO dashboard.
Once you have completed these steps, your WordPress website will be linked to your Google Search Console account, and you will be able to access valuable data about your website’s performance.
Benefits of using Google Search Console Now that you have set up Google Search Console and linked it to your WordPress website, you can start to take advantage of the benefits it provides. Here are just a few of the ways Google Search Console can help you optimise your website:
- Monitor your website’s performance: Google Search Console provides valuable data about how your website is performing in search engine rankings. You can see how many clicks and impressions your website is getting, which keywords are driving traffic to your site, and which pages are performing the best.
- Identify and fix issues: Google Search Console will alert you to any issues with your website that may be impacting your search engine rankings. These issues may include broken links, crawl errors, or security issues.
- Submit sitemaps and URLs: You can use Google Search Console to submit sitemaps and individual URLs to Google for crawling and indexing.
- Improve mobile usability: Google Search Console provides a mobile usability report that shows you how your website performs on mobile devices. This report will highlight any issues that may be impacting your website’s mobile usability and give you suggestions for improvement.
In conclusion, setting up Google Search Console and linking it to your WordPress website is an essential step for any website owner who wants to optimise their website’s search engine visibility. By using Google Search Console, you can monitor your website’s performance, identify and fix issues, submit sitemaps and URLs, improve the ranking of your pages and identify keywords for further development.